Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My Ding-a-ling

Every time I look at my favorite ukulele site on the internet I pass by the song called "My Ding-a-ling." Each time I say to myself, "Well, that song has to be either really old or really inappropriate." Finally, after overlooking the link to this song many times I decided to take a peak. I was surprised to read the lyrics and find that it is BOTH very old AND can be taken very inappropriately. Chuck Berry wrote this song about a string that his grandmother gave him that had bells attached. She told him it was his ding-a-ling.

(These are some of the real lyrics to this song.)

Third verse:
As I was swimming cross turtle creek,
Man, them snappers all around my feet.
Sure was hard swimming cross that thing,
With both hands holding my ding-a-ling-a-ling

Chorus:
My ding-a-ling, my ding-a-ling
Won't you play with my ding-a-ling
My ding-a-ling, my ding-a-ling
I want you to play with my ding-a-ling-a-ling

I wonder if Chuck was just clueless when he wrote this song or if later generations perverted the meaning...

1 comment:

Kim-may said...

sure he did. sure he wrote a song about his grandma blah blah blah... sure he did, chuck berry the lil perv