Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Botulism

I was reading on the honey jar today that you are not supposed to give honey to infants under the age of one. Naturally I was intrigued and so i did some research. (thanks world wide web) It turns out that there are spores in honey that can cause botulism. As adults we have friendly bacterium in our digestive tracts that keep us from getting it but infants don't have this line of defense and therefore they can get infant botulism and even die. I am not sure what botulism is but i hear it effects the nervous system.

The name botulism could really mean someone who is racist against someone from Botulia. I can just hear the news now:
"Today the racist group called "We Have Botulism" rallied near city hall in order to protest the arrival of 2 train loads of Botulian refugees who were displaced from their native Botulia after Botulist violence spread from the jungle regions of the botulian mountains."

Now i am pretty sure there is not a country called Botulia but if there was... I would be willing to bet that the scientist who named the disease botulism was a botulist pig!

2 comments:

kim said...

You have a great sense of humor. i like reading your blogs. hope you are doing well.

Meg said...

Hey!! I am from botulia and I am very offended!!! We don't hate botulsim we love, that is why we give it to little infants--so there we are not racist!!