Thursday, December 18, 2008

Jesus Wants Me for a Sun-BEAN!

As a child I always thought that people were called "human beans" I guess it is a tribute to the severe obesity problems in America that humans sometimes really are bean shaped like beans...unless of course you are talking about greenbeans...but even then... some humans that are super skinny are that shape.

This association of humans to beans was further solidified by the song that is sung by the children at church called "Jesus wants me for a sunBEAN." That song is the best. Lots of jumping up and yelling involved. I think one time as I helped with the family garden I wondered if any of the greenbeans we planted were called "sunbeans"and why Jesus would want me to not be human...instead he wanted me to be marginal vegetable...I mean an artichoke or asperagus or something really delicious I could have understood...but a green bean?

I think it was much later in life before I discovered that human beings are not beans and Jesus doesn't want me for a sunbean, but he really does want me for a sunbeam.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Very nice David. :D

LA GUERA SALSERA said...

I have to admit I also thought it was human "bean" instead of "being". But I did think of a green bean...not kidney. I don't think I was as familiar with the kidney bean at that age. Which leads me to express my continued astonishment at the resembalnce of kidney beans to actual kidney's.